Saturday, June 6, 2015

“People are agents, they are not passive victims of spatial structures and while a suburban environment may impede women’s efforts to combine their roles, they do have the distinct ability to plan and learn new ways of acting” (237)

Reference: England, K. (1993). Suburban pink collar ghettos: The spatial entrapment of women?. Annals of the Association of American Geographers, 83(2), 225-242.

England’s article seeks to re-evaluate and interrogate the spatial entrapment theory that has been applied to suburban women. This theory suggests that women’s occupational prospects are being limited to those that she can find within the context of so-called “suburban pink collar ghettos,” which are most often filled with menial, low-paying jobs. Using a triangulation method (which combines multiple data collection methods. In this case, these include findings from other studies, local statistics, written questionnaires and interviews among other methods to assure a greater breadth of knowledge and more accurate results), England uses the data collected from other sources to put her own data to the test. Similar to Hanson and Pratt (1995), England chose a city that reflects national average trends in the United States, which in this case was Columbus, Ohio.

Even though I was able to draw many parallels between this article and Hanson and Pratt (1995) almost to the point of regurgitation, I have done my best to locate and explore the different ways that England approaches the relationship between women and work with the following quotations and accompanied commentary:

“Suburban women are presented as an attractive labor supply because they place a premium on their domestic roles and are secondary wage earners by choice, viewing their husbands as the ‘breadwinner’” (226)

Just as Hanson and Pratt (1995) discussed, although this may not be as prominent today as it was twenty years ago, women were and in many cases continue to be important contributors to jobs that are predominantly menial and part-time (like retail for example) because they would rather focus their time and energy on their children and their home. It honestly makes me a little frustrated to write this because it reminds me that women are in many cases choosing this way of life as though housework is the extent of their potential. I’m not trying to put anyone down here, or disrespect the choice, but I can’t help but wonder what some of these women could really be capable of if they handed over domestic responsibilities to their husband and took on a meaningful, thought-provoking career.

“Essentially suburban women, especially if they are married, White, and have young children, are viewed as being spatially entrapped in their place of residence. If firms wish to accrue savings from employing this spatially entrapped labor force, they must locate near these suburban areas” (226)

As a result of these women who are vying to provide a secondary income while also keeping in close proximity to their domestic lives, the spatial makeup of businesses has changed to accommodate these desires, with more businesses moving from the cities and into the suburbs.

“…suburban women possess a combination of characteristics that make them a preferred pink collar labor supply. They are relatively well-educated, nonunionized, married, White women with dependent children, who consider their wages to be a ‘secondary’ source of family income and, therefore, will accept lower wages than central city women” (226)

With the idea that suburban women are more likely to accept lower wages, it seems like there would be greater opportunity to take advantage of them. On the other hand, however, with these businesses targeting and hiring these women for employment, they must also realize that this must come at a price knowing that their families come first (for example, they might lose workers on any given day if a child is sick or there’s some other sort of family emergency).

“…suburban women have the language skills that are important in customer interfacing, while the class structure and related home-ownership characteristics of suburban women are believed to enhance worker stability and productivity, and to limit feelings of militancy” (226)

These assumptions really bother me. I don’t understand how being a suburban woman connects to having the language skills necessary in customer service environments, but I have an idea. Is it possible that the connection being made here between suburban women and language skills is that it is more likely that these women have adopted the attitudes and values of the dominant culture (especially since most of these women are white and middle- to upper-middle class) and thus are more successful in expressing and communicating the attitudes and values of said dominant culture, which is consequently the same as the company’s? I feel like nothing I’ve been writing has

Purpose and summary of research: “This paper presents an empirical and theoretical investigation of the widely accepted and, I argue, “taken-for-granted” concept if the spatial entrapment of women. Columbus, Ohio is used as the case study, and the empirical portions of the paper employ a ‘triangulation’ by layering various overlapping datasets and types of analysis. I selected this approach to facilitate the investigation of the spatial-entrapment thesis from two directions: the labor demand-side (focusing on the work-place and employers) and the labor supply-side (examining characteristics of the female clerical workers within particular communities)” (226-227)

Method: “I adopted a triangulation approach because a diversity of methods and overlapping datasets were employed in the study (other terms to describe this process include multiple strategies and combined operations)” (227)

The choice to employ this method allowed for England’s findings to be more reliable and allowed for her to be able to check certain findings against others to detect similarities as well as discrepancies.

“The clerical labor forces of these firms were also highly feminized; in no instance did the female proportion fall below 70 percent” (228)

Why is there such a high percentage of women in clerical work? Is it because these jobs are more flexible as opposed to more prestigious occupations (no doubt in many cases dominated by men) so that these women are able to fulfill their domestic duties? Or is it because clerical work has been branded as “girl’s work” and thus has become a taboo for men?

Reasons for why women statistically have shorter commutes to work than men: “First, the domestic division of labor usually means that women have greater domestic responsibilities than men, and are more likely to trade off commuting time to accommodate their domestic roles. Second, the segregation of women into low-paid, low-status waged work means that they are not sufficiently well paid to ‘justify’ lengty commutes” (230)

While the first part of this argument has also been found in Hanson and Pratt (1995), the second reason for why women have shorter commutes was not addressed. If women are choosing to work these menial jobs just for a little bit of extra money and maybe something to do while their kids are at school, they don’t want to be spending all of that extra money on transportation costs. It makes complete sense.

“…Hanson and Johnston (1985) found that unmarried women with no children (supposedly the least spatially entrapped women) had the shortest work-trips and that among the other households, the presence of neither children nor another adult reduced women’s work-trip length” (230)

While England acknowledges that these findings run in contestation with other findings such as with Hanson and Pratt (1995), I feel like a single woman having a shorter commute to work makes a lot of sense. When you’re single and childless, you don’t have to worry about negotiating with anyone concerning where to live. You don’t have to take your husband’s job location into account, nor do you have to take your children’s school locations into account, either. These women are free to find a place to live right around the corner from their place of work if they wanted to, and they have no one to hold them back.

“It is noted that lone mothers, who, ‘conventional wisdom’ tells us, are the most spatially entrapped, not only have the highest modal class, but commute greater mean distance than to nonparents in one-adult households (supposedly the least spatially entrapped)” (233)

This is interesting to me. One would think that a single mother would want to be close to her children, but evidently this is not the case. I would hypothesize that economic stability, over domestic responsibilities, are more important to these mothers and thus they travel greater distances to attend work that is (presumably?) higher-paying. On the other hand, I wonder why these women do not just move closer to their jobs. Perhaps many of these women are divorced and do not want to uproot their children from school and friends. At the end of the day though, these are all just guesses.

In the interviews England conducted, the response from a woman named Liz really caught my attention. She has dependent children (youngest child being seven years old) and she kept her job when her and her second husband moved regardless of the distance because she liked the job: “I wouldn’t take a job in Westerville just because it’s near home, that has no effect on me…I stayed with this job because of the job itself. I’d never change jobs just because of location, unless I was driving for over an hour. Because this job pays what I want and it’s mentally stimulating. I haven’t changed and won’t change because of moving house” (235)

I want to read about more women like Liz. In everything that I’ve read so far, women seem to be portrayed as victims to patriarchy whose ultimate goals in life are to raise children and keep their houses clean. Clearly for Liz, her job is a big priority for her. While I can’t say it is her biggest priority over her family since this article does not offer that information, there is no doubt that work is important to her. I want to know if there are more women like Liz in the Niagara region. My mother, for example, is similar to Liz: even though her commute is not terribly long, she still works five days a week, sometimes over ten hours a day. Without any disrespect for the pink collar workers of the world, I want to know more about women like my mother and Liz because these are the kind of women that I see myself becoming one day. I can relate to them and their ambitions outside of their family life. I want to know if these women are happy with their career choices, and if they have any regrets with not making domesticity a priority.

“…the interviews with suburban women showed that a short journey-to-work is not always tied to a woman’s negotiation of her multiple roles; nor, on the other hand, is a long journey-to-work necessarily characterized by the absence of such a negotiation” (235-236)

This quotation points to a problem with using primarily quantitative data when conducting studies in human geography. A statistic is not always going to point directly to the reason behind that statistic, so by executing a qualitative method such as through interviews, generalizations can be avoided and a greater wealth of knowledge and understanding can be discovered. In this case, it is easy to assume that the large percentages of women in pink collar jobs who have shorter commutes to work choose this in order to be closer to their domestic responsibilities. Based on the responses by many of the women in this article, however, this is clearly not the case. The next step for me after reading England is to figure out if these findings can only work in isolation, or if they might also be applied to Niagara (hopefully I will find an even larger number of women who are not making all of their decisions around their families!).

Conclusion as a result of evidence: “In short, it would seem that, at least for the northern Columbus area, the evidence is not especially strong with regard to women being trapped in their place of residence, waiting for employment opportunities to come their way” (236)

“I suspect that the varied results of previous commuting studies reflect the transitional patterns of women’s paid employment in the 1970s, as women (especially those who were married with young children) began to fit less easily into the stereotype of being spatially entrapped” (236)

What I gather from England’s statement here is that the differences in findings from one commuting study to the other reflects the time period from which they derive, assuming that the Western world is continually improving with regards to women’s equal participation in the labour force. This article was written the year I was born! That’s twenty-two years ago! Surely, assuming that this trend of improvement has continued (and I believe it has!) I’m sure the results of a study done in 2015 profiling women of the Niagara region would yield even more favourable results.

“…everyday life is not separate from, but rather integral to the processes of economic, social and spatial (re)structuring. By putting human agency center stage, emphasis is placed on the reproductive and the transformative capacities of people as they engage in the mundane, routine practices of everyday life” (237)

“Essentially, the sociospatial system in which a woman in the paid labor force operates is not a closed one. Her work-place location is affected by more than just her residence and vice versa” (238)

This quotation once again cautions against making generalizations and jumping to conclusions. In a way, it also makes me think about Bondi’s discussion of dichotomies and keeping women in the context of the private sphere as opposed to the public. This study serves as an excellent example of the futility of using binaries in order to draw conclusions about gender dynamics by showing just how complicated a woman’s relationship with both the private and public sphere can truly be.

“Many women I interviewed considered their jobs to be at least as important as their domestic roles” (238)

“Increasingly, both partners’ jobs are important, and this serves to make the household’s web of sociospatial relations even more complex” (238)

I’ve actually thought about this on numerous occasions: if I decide to marry someone one day (someone who, I would like to think, would also be career-oriented like me) how are we going to juggle where our careers may lead us? What if I’m pulled to one side of the country and he’s pulled to the other? What happens then? In marriage it’s all about compromise…but I’m not sure that’s a compromise I’d be willing to make!

“Clearly, spatial fixity does lie at the heart of women’s (and men’s) experiences of paid employment, but the spatial-entrapment-of-women thesis, as it presently stands, is an overgeneralization and over-simplification” (239)

I strongly agree with this! Plus, I can’t fail to mention how just the phrase “spatial entrapment of women” paints women as helpless victims once again. Women are not victims or slaves to their environment as contrived by patriarchy. Regardless of how evident patriarchy has proven to be among various spatialities, women still have a profound level of autonomy and the ability to fight these patriarchal restraints (as much as humanly possible, though things like the wage gap do still set us back) if they so choose.

No comments:

Post a Comment