Friday, July 3, 2015

“I urge feminists and animal scholars to explore how each may complement, extend or complicate discussions going on in their respective intellectual and empirical engagements. To wit, animals need feminism and feminism needs animals” (12)

Reference: Hovorka, A.J. (2015). The Gender, Place and Culture Jan Monk Distinguished Annual Lecture: Feminism and animals: Exploring interspecies relations through intersectionality, performativity and standpoint. Gender, Place & Culture, 22(1), 1-19.

In this article, Hovorka attempts to argue that feminist geographical epistemology is suited to analyze and critically investigate the plights and experiences of non-human animals. In order to do this, she breaks down multiple concepts and theories associated with feminist geographical thought (such as intersectionality and performativity) and applies them to the study of non-human animals to show how these various lenses will help to advance not only animal studies, but also animal advocacy.

Purpose of article: “My objective for this article, therefore, is to explore and enhance feminist theoretical dialogue about, on and with animals in order to generate geographical knowledge that is comprehensive and reflective of the interrelatedness of all beings that shape individual, institutional and ideological realms” (1)

“On the one hand, animals need feminism. Feminism is well suited and positioned to take on questions and issues of the animal given its commitment to analysing the body, connecting discursive with material constructions, emphasizing co-created situatedness, promoting empathic understanding, exposing the logic of exclusion and politics of abjection, attending to marginalized social groups and reflecting upon its own participation in the ethics of representation and speaking for others” (2)

I definitely agree with what Hovorka is saying in this passage. I appreciate the fact that Hovorka is looking at feminism as a complex theoretical lens with multiple different purposes and perspectives outside of just advocating for women’s rights. While there is a mention of the promotion of empathetic understanding, which I’m assuming is making the all-too familiar suggestion that women are able to empathize with non-human animals as a result of their oppressive positions in society, she includes many other characteristics of feminist theory. I especially like the mention of “exposing the logic of exclusion and politics of abjection” as well as “attending to marginalized social groups.” Although feminist theory is of course largely concerned with the female experience in particular, what many people do not know about feminism is that it also preoccupies itself with the study of many other intersectionalities outside of gender (age, class, race) and how these intersectionalities are areas of exclusion for many social groups. I do have a concern, however, with some phrasing: if you’re writing a piece about non-human animals, they should be referred to as such: non-human animals. This is something I learned in my “Animals in Literature” class (which I can forgive for the lack of proper terminology in the title because it would have sounded really clunky). From my understanding, referring to non-human animals as “animals” and human animals as “humans” helps to promote this divide between the species and put humanity on a pedestal. At the end of the day, we’re all animals, and I’m surprised that in an academic article about non-human animals (especially with a feminist slant!), the researcher has not employed the proper terminology.

“Boundaries may be pushed in productive ways by extending well-established feminist tenets regarding ‘whose knowledge counts and how it is counted’ to animal subjects” (2)

Epistemology (otherwise known as, the theory of knowing…the example I remember from Professor Mackintosh was, “how do you know what you know?”) has always been of profound interest to me. Certain “ways of knowing” are more privileged than other “ways of knowing,” like when you compare white epistemologies with Aboriginal epistemologies. Whose knowledge is more valued in society, whose voice gets heard, and whose does not? I’m not completely sure what Hovorka is getting at in this passage though. I know she is referring to epistemology, but is she talking about the epistemological divide between humans and non-human animals in terms of human knowledge being privileged over non-human animal knowledge? That’s the impression I received, but if I’m misunderstanding something (to whoever could be reading this…) please let me know.

“I certainly did not consider fully that these animals were pivotal actors in shaping human livelihoods, let alone pay attention to their own positionality, circumstances and experiences” (2)

Perhaps I’m taking this a little too far, but I can’t help to be a little critical after taking my “Animals in Literature” class. For my final paper I wrote about Flush by Virginia Woolf, which is about the relationship between a dog and a young woman. For my proposal, she made the comment that she liked how I mentioned Flush (the dog) first when referring to him and Elizabeth (the young woman) in the same sentence. She told me in the comments on my proposal to be consistent with that order throughout the whole paper. I can understand why she made this comment, because often non-human animals are subordinate to humans when they are both being mentioned in the same sentence. I find it kind of problematic in this example that the non-human animals’ role in “shaping human livelihoods” is being made to seem more important than “their own positionality, circumstances and experiences.” But on the other hand, this might just be Hovorka admitting to her own shortcomings with regards to the study of non-human animals. She says that as a feminist geographer studying “urbanization, gender and everyday life in Botswana” (2), she did not consider the presence of non-human animals. Regardless of whether or not her statement is problematic or not, I think it is important to highlight how even feminist theorists do not always recognize non-human animals, which serves as a reminder that even marginalized human groups must be careful with how non-human animals are being treated in a research context. In my mind there is no question that non-human animals are more oppressed and more marginalized than any human group on earth.

“Yet as Wolch and Emel (1998, xi) claim, ‘Animals are so indispensable to the structure of human affairs and tied up with our visions of progress and the good life that we are unable to fully see them’” (2) = POSSIBLE TITLE?

 “Finally, some worry that attention to animal lives and issues will divert attention from more important or urgent human concerns such as violence, racism and poverty (Adams and Donovan 1995; Gaard 1993); indeed some purport that feminism should only concern itself with human liberation (Gaarder 2011)” (3)

This makes me so angry! Why are human concerns “more important or urgent” than what is happening to non-human animals? I’m going to try really hard not to go on a tirade here, but while I’m not going to undervalue the importance of drawing attention to issues like “violence, racism and poverty,” if humans were being treated like non-human animals are treated in factory farms (and I’m not even talking on a mass scale here! I’m saying if even one or two humans were treated this way) it would spark a worldwide outcry. The people responsible for their crimes would be thrown in jail for their entire lives, and depending on where they live, maybe even receive the death penalty. If you think about it like that, I think it’s completely ignorant, self-centered and downright RIDICULOUS to argue that “attention to animal lives and issues will divert attention [my emphasis]” from humans. While I’m not surprised that these sentiments exist, I am nevertheless appalled by them. Non-human animals should receive much, much more attention than they currently receive, and it’s completely stupid to think that giving their extremely “important” and “urgent” concerns the attention they deserve will detract from human concerns. Now, the second half of this statement claims that feminism should only focus on human liberation. There is no way a true feminist (ie. one who is informed enough about feminism to know that it’s not just about women…) would ever say anything like that. Maybe I’m coming on a little too strong in saying this (not that I would ever actually hold back…), but that sounds like a comment only a bigot would make. Excluding non-human animals from feminist study is, in my opinion, completely contradictory to everything feminism stands for. Feminism does not pick and choose which social groups it believes to be most important, but rather attempts to liberate them all. Non-human animals are certainly no exception. 

“Empathy for animal suffering quickly became feminized, however, and mocked as a movement of ‘emotional little old ladies in tennis shoes’ and feminist ideas have gained little traction amongst prominent (predominately male) social theorists (Gaard 2012)” (3)

I’m trying so, so hard to keep my lunch from reappearing right now. Emotional. Little. Old. Ladies. In. Tennis. Shoes. Are you kidding me? I despise every last word of that statement, hence why I thought they each needed their own sentence. Like I touched upon in my notes about Merriman’s article: WHY DO YOU HAVE TO BE A WOMAN TO CARE ABOUT OTHER LIVING BEINGS? In another English course I took, we learned about empathy in short stories and how it is generated. Outside of a literary context, we learned that empathy is generated in many other ways outside of similar experiences and shared social positionalities (there’s the “women are naturally more intimately connected to animals” debate that I love so much again…). How is it that I could empathize with friends who have lost family members that I have not lost? It’s because I actually took the time to reflect on how I would feel if I lost my father, or grandparent, etc. I made a conscious effort to put myself in their place and imagine how I would feel, what I would do, and how I would think if it happened to me. You don’t need to be a woman or a member of another marginalized group to be able to empathize. You just have to care enough to try.

“Since the 1990s, animal geographers have recognized the centrality of animals in human society and acknowledge animals as subjects and distinct social group worthy of consideration. Animals are not simply natural resources, units of production, or entities to be trapped, counted, mapped and analysed (Wolch and Emel 1998)” (4)

It’s kind of messed up to think that animal geographers only started to think about animals in this context 25 years ago. When I looked up Animal Studies on Wikipedia, in the History section the first work it mentioned was Peter Singer’s Animal Liberation written in 1975. While it wasn’t an established discipline at the time, and there might be earlier examples of this literature in centuries before, from my “Animals in Literature” class we looked at The Cry of Nature by John Oswald, which was written in 1791. So it seems that people were concerned about the well-being of animals LONG before animal geography came about in the 1990s. But why did it take so long for the discipline to emerge? Non-human animals have been with us for beyond our entire human existences, but it wasn’t until 25 years ago that animal geographers began to think of non-human animals as beings worth much more than “entities to be trapped, counted, mapped and analysed.”

“Animal geographers recognize that animals are essential in explanations of human –environment or spatial relations because interdependence between species is irrefutable and animals are deeply intertwined in our own lives (Urbanik 2012; Wolch and Emel 1995). They also explore increasingly the particular lives, identities and experiences of animals themselves”

Once again…the problematic ordering. What’s more important and worthy of our attention? How non-human animals benefit us? Or the well-being and experiences of non-human animals in and for itself?

Thesis: “Taking cues from existing feminism – animal scholarship, I argue that contemporary threads in feminism are well suited and positioned to enhance, extend and complicate research and debates in animal geographies while engaging animal issues and subjects offers new pathways for feminism” (4)

Good definition of intersectionality: “Intersectional analysis names and describes hidden acts of discrimination and illuminates ‘the way in which any particular individual stands at the crossroads of multiple groups’ (Minow 1997, 3)” (4)

This definition will be useful in the next couple of weeks when I explore intersectionalities in more detail.

“Feminist geographical contributions to intersectionality illustrate how differences and inequalities emerge through co-production of space and subjectivity as manifested in discursive imaginings and material placements” (4)

“Both sexism and speciesism produce a ‘saming’ and ‘othering’ of women and animals, denying them rationality, agency and history (relative to men and humans) and enabling a moral detachment that creates and perpetuates oppressive practices and institutions (Gruen and Weil 2010)” (5)

I like how Hovorka is framing her connections between feminism and animal advocacy based on how women and non-human animals are treated in society as opposed to the female gender’s particular ability to connect to non-human animals. I really can’t stress enough how much I hate the “women are closer to nature” stereotype. Feminists aren’t preoccupied with the plights of non-human animals because we as a gender have a greater connection with them and are more emotional. No no! Feminists are preoccupied with the plights of non-human animals because feminists are preoccupied with the plights of all marginalized groups. It’s as simple as that.

“Geographers working at the crossroads of feminism and animals or within animal geography itself…explore…how racial and gendered notions of human boundary-making shape processes of animal domestication, containment or extermination (Anderson 1995; Bull 2009; Emel 1995; Gillespie 2014); and how gender, class and/or race influence different attitudes or practices towards animals (Howell 2000; Wolch, Alex, and Lassiter 2000)” (5)

The idea of “boundary-making” is probably what fascinates me the most about how humans and non-human animals, as well as different human groups, are socially separated and categorized. By settinthese boundaries, like for example that humans can “speak” (by our definition of course, we have sophisticated language) while non-human animals cannot, we believe ourselves to be superior. Hierarchies are formed with those at the top being given the authority to use and abuse those at the bottom. We make boundaries (if you ask me, they’re more like excuses) that allow us to justify our ill treatment of marginalized human and non-human groups. Because cows, pigs and chickens (among countless others) are incapable of “speech,” taste good, provide protein and are easy to mass produce and kill, we can eat them. We think we’re smarter than them and more valuable than them and so we justify putting them on our plates. Aboriginals don’t have the same cultural values as the all-powerful white people, they don’t think the same or even look the same, and so that means we have every right to throw them into residential schools and literally and figuratively beat their beliefs out of them. From a biological standpoint women are not as physically strong as men, and so that means we have a right to overpower them and control them.  That’s how society thinks: we create a system of characteristics that we value, and all those who do not match up are either “dominat[ed], contain[ed] or exterminate[ed].”

(middle of page 5, start of paragraph “Feminists…”)

“Briefly, to be a man or woman in Botswana means that you are associated with and have access to certain animals that, in turn, come with particular opportunities and/or constraints” (5)

From here Hovorka goes on to describe how cattle (which are the more prosperous with owners receiving help from the government for their businesses) has been assigned to men, who in turn make more money, while chickens (which provide less money and are “invisible in policy and programming”(5)) are associated with women, who in turn make less money. I never would have thought of non-human animals and gender in this context. To me, the pairing of gender and non-human animals has always led me to think about the feminisation of vegetarianism and animal advocacy. I would have never thought that particular non-human animals long before being slaughtered and put on a plate are being divided up to men and women.

“Intersectionality thus complements threads in animal geography purporting the centrality of animals; it generates possibilities for considering what an individual animal may experience in the world on account of who they are (based on their own sex, breed, age, etc.), where they are symbolically and materially located (in relation to humans or to other nonhumans) and with whom they are connected” (6)

I’ve never thought about intersectionalities being applied to non-human animals, but I am definitely interested. There’s no doubt that particular species are valued over other species (for example, we tend to value dogs more as pets than lets say…rats), that age certainly matters (keeping with the dog example, people often gravitate towards puppies when choosing a pet as opposed to opting for a rescue where the age may not be known) and I know for my family, the sex of the animal also matters (we’ve always had male animals because females will have periods and trail blood in the house if they are not fixed. I apologize for how blunt that sounds but it’s the truth!). I can certainly get on-board with Hovorka’s argument for feminism being applied to the plights and experiences of non-human animals: especially when you consider intersectionalities, which are very important to feminist thought.

“[Feminism] encourages disaggregation of ‘nature’ in feminist geography research so that animals are no longer lumped together with other components of the natural world but rather are recognized as vital actors (re)producing relations of power that shape broad structural socio-spatial dynamics and everyday life” (6)

Good definition of performativity to hold onto!: “…performativity is the process through which social subjects (body as labelled, inscribed, socially constructed), subjectivities (lived experience of a body) and spatialities (bodies embedded in a particular place) are produced and reproduced (terminology adapted from Grosz 1995; Longhurst 2005)” (7)

“Second, animal performativity requires moving beyond language such that matter itself begins to matter (Barad 2003). Here those innate characteristics and behaviours associated especially with nonhuman animals resurface to render animals as active, communicative participants in the creation of meaning” (7)

I like this a lot! It all goes back to breaking down those boundaries. In this example, the language barrier that I mentioned earlier that people usually use to distinguish humans from non-human animals and solidify that hierarchy is being challenged. I must say though that I find it odd that “nonhuman” is all of a sudden being used…where was it in the rest of the article?

“Performativity does not feature prominently in animal scholarship…When engaged, the concept tends to highlight human performance as wrapped up and manifested in human –animal relations” (8)

I think this is one of the biggest problems: the fact that researchers and the public in general can’t seem to look at non-human animals outside of the context of their interactions and associations with humans. Non-human animal performativity should be investigated in its own right, and if we have to bring humans into it, non-human animals must remain the focus (for example, instead of asking what non-human animals do for humans, perhaps it should be the other way around).

“…interviews confirmed the importance of donkeys to people’s livelihoods and revealed intimate connections that people form with their donkeys as companions and even family members. Yet interviews also revealed the general belief that donkeys are made to work for humans and require harsh treatment to ensure that they get the job done” (8)

Hovorka here is using another example from her research in Botswana. I can’t stand contradictions like this. If we were talking about a human family where the husband treated his wife like this (she’s a “companion” and “family member” but she was “made to work” for her husband), in most societies that would be completely unacceptable. You don’t treat human family members this way, so why are you treating a non-human family member this way?

“Emotional assessments involved examining the donkey’s ear position, facial expression, neck position and their interaction with both a stranger and their owner. We found that the majority of donkeys surveyed were afflicted with an overall sad demeanour by displaying unresponsiveness, avoidance and disinterest” (9)

In Hovorka’s work, she puts the lives of the donkeys on the forefront. Although language is of course a major barrier, she does physical and even emotional assessments (the aforementioned example details how she carried out this emotional assessment) in order to determine the donkey’s perceived well-being. No one ever thinks or talks about the emotions of non-human animals outside of perhaps their pets (when my mother and sister and I leave the house, we can tell our dog is sad by how he puts his head down and stares at the door). I especially appreciate the fact that Hovorka targeted a non-human animal who is often very negatively stereotyped in society (they’re often associated with stubbornness, laziness and stupidity) to perhaps suggest how these qualities may come about as a result of sadness and an overall poor well-being.

“Performativity thus centres the animal and attends to its subject identity construction and subjective lived experience as connected to its broader spatial context… For feminist geographers, animal performativity offers an opportunity to embrace all sorts of bodies and embodied lives as legitimate and meaningful sites of knowledge production” (9)

“Standpoint, as emerging from second-wave feminist thought, is a theory and approach that makes three central claims (Hartsock 1983; Harding 1993; Binnie 2011). First, knowledge is socially situated whereby individual knowledge and experiences are based on one’s particular positionality, which in turn shapes one’s perspectives and opinions in daily life…Second, marginalized groups are socially situated in ways that make it more possible for them to be aware of things and ask questions than it is for the nonmarginalized…Third, research, especially focused on power relations, should begin with the lives of the marginalized to acknowledge and incorporate their perspectives into the construction of scientific knowledge” (9-10)

Since I don’t have a lot of experience with this theory (I think this is the first time I’ve ever heard of it, unless perhaps it’s been called something else in the past), I thought it would be useful to include Hovorka’s descriptions of what the theory claims so that I can understand it better and perhaps use it for future reference.

“Clearly provocative, animal standpoint raises questions regarding whether animal realities and worldviews can be known to humans. In his exploration of ‘what is it like to be a bat’, Nagel (1974) concludes that humans cannot comprehend ‘bat phenomenology’ given they are limited by their mental apparatus and may misread the communication or proceed along incorrect assumptions” (10)

I like how this has been phrased. Instead of ostracizing non-human animals as if their inability to “speak” to us is their own shortcoming, Hovorka is recognizing humanity’s shortcomings in understanding non-human animals. It’s refreshing to see a perspective where it is placing the onus on us to try to understand them, even though (as the bat example suggests) it may not be possible.

Good summary of standpoint: “Standpoint thus pushes to the foreground animals as subjects with particular circumstances, experiences and worldviews” (11)

“As a feminist geographer, I believe that feminism offers perspectives and analyses that transcend sole focus on women, gender and sexism – indeed feminism is a powerful force within science that should not be limited in its application to particular (human) subjects or topics” (12)

I completely agree! Like I said before, excluding non-human animals (or any social group for that matter…and non-human animals are certainly a social group!) goes against everything feminism stands for!

“We should come to know, however partially, the animals with whom we coexist in order to sustain webs of connection and an ethic of respect, mutuality, caring and friendship (Wolch 2002, 734)” (13)


I couldn’t have said it better myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment