Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Carol [Alison’s therapist]: I think your mother has some resentment about being female that got passed on to you (279)

Reference: Bechdel, A. (2012). Are You My Mother?. New York: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.

I think I’m going to struggle a little bit with this one. I’m somewhat concerned that I’m not going to be able to do it justice. I mentioned very briefly in my last post that there was a lot that went over my head in Bechdel’s memoir. What I thought would be a quick read, as you’d expect from a graphic novel, actually took me a lot longer than I would have expected. Bechdel doesn’t write like a typical comic book author: her language choice is extremely elevated, and she makes many direct references to famous theorists, authors and other academics such as Virginia Woolf (who was also mentioned in Marbles…she’s coming up everywhere these days! I mentioned her novel Flush in my post from last week) and especially Donald Winnicott (a well-known paediatrician and psychoanalyst who “was especially influential in the field of object relations theory,” according to Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Winnicott).

With only Psychology 1F90 under my belt, many of these references to Winnicott in particular were a major challenge for me. While I’m confident that I understood the majority of the text, I’m going to be honest and admit that there were some parts that no matter how many times I read them, I just could not understand them (like the idea of the “true self” and the “false self”…I mean, I think I get it but if it came up on a test I wouldn’t be confident in my answer).

To the best of my ability though, I’m going to tell you what this book was about. In the simplest terms, Bechdel’s text is about the complicated relationship between her and her mother. Throughout the text, she jumps backward and forward in time, cutting between different events of her past (she goes as far back as infancy, through to childhood…her college years, and adult years) in an attempt to consolidate all of her memories of her relationship with her mother and release her resentment. From my perspective (and I’m going to go into more detail), Bechdel’s mother is a living embodiment of the argument against all women being naturally attuned to motherhood. Bechdel’s mother should not have been a mother. Instead of having the typical mother-daughter relationship where the mother takes care of her child and the child depends on the mother, the relationship between Bechdel and her mother was inverted: Bechdel spent her entire childhood feeling like she was her mother’s mother. In her childhood, she felt guilty about troubling her mother with an illness and developed a phobia of vomiting because it represented a time where she had to rely on her mother for care (this is just one of many other examples). Even in her adulthood, Bechdel’s mother imposes the mothering role onto her daughter by overwhelming their phone conversations with only her own concerns (she never asks her daughter how she is doing, she is selfish much like how a child is selfish when she expects her mother to listen to her every complaint without the mother asking for the same courtesy in return). Bechdel’s mother never seemed to figure out how the mother-daughter dynamic was supposed to work, and if she did, she did not care to execute it. As a result of her mother’s inadequacies as a parent, Bechdel goes to therapy from her early to later adulthood to figure out when, where, how, why…her mother chose not to mother her.

In terms of the artistic style of the graphic novel, Bechdel’s book is a lot more detailed and better resembles other adult graphic novels compared to Forney’s book. While Forney’s book has many pages that are consumed with elaborate drawings and diagrams that take up the whole page, Bechdel sticks predominantly to the traditional panel format:

In this example, Bechdel has illustrated one of the many exhausting and one-sided phone conversations that she has had with mother.

Interestingly though, Bechdel’s comic is completely black-and-white aside from some red accents (in various intensities and shades, sometimes deep, sometimes appearing more pink). In the example above, everything is in black-and-white except for Bechdel and her mother’s clothing, her mother’s lips, and the window frames and some furniture. As much as I can say that it was an interesting stylistic choice and it looks really good, I would love to know the reason behind it. I wish I had a creative idea to offer for why she might have done this (maybe if I slept on it something would come to me…), and maybe if I had more experience with graphic novels I would have an easier time, but alas I have no idea! I can’t help but think about Schindler’s List with the little girl in the red coat…but what could that possibly have to do with a memoir about a woman’s relationship with her mother?

Am I missing something here?

I’m just going to move on before I explode.

Aside from the red-black-and-white colour choice, I also really loved how on pages 103-106, the time that Bechdel is in therapy is delineated by the tree outside of the window, indicating the passing seasons.

 This happens right after Bechdel’s therapist, Jocelyn, asks her if she believes in God. We of course know it is autumn because of the tree outside. On the following pages the tree is bare for winter, and then develops buds for spring.

I’m not sure what that has to do with anything to be honest. I just thought it was clever…

Anyway.

Since this graphic novel has a lot more text and thus much more quotable material compared to Forney’s book, I’m going to revert back to my old blogging style to highlight my observations/connections to my own life and experiences while also incorporating connections to feminism and geography (but in the case of this book, it’s predominantly feminism).

To make things easier to follow, I’m going to write out my quotes in a script format as many of them involve back-and-forth conversation between multiple characters. I’m also going to keep everyone on a first-name basis (aside from Bechdel’s mother since we’re not given her first name when they’re mentioned in the “script” just because I don’t have everyone’s last names. I thought it would be important to mention that so you don’t think I’m being sloppy!

I should also mention that any time I am quoting Alison’s narration (so pretty much what’s not in the speech bubbles) I write “Alison [narration]”.

Okay. I think that covers it all.

Here it goes!

Alison: [Bechdel has just told her therapist about how she wanted to cry when looking at the innocence of the children in the Christmas play at church. Her therapist asks her why] I dunno. It makes me think of this newspaper clipping of a Christmas pageant I was in when I was ten. I look different from the other kids.

Carol [her therapist]: How?

Alison: Uh…self-conscious? (45)

I really liked this exchange. From the time Alison was very young, she learned that she had to be strong for her mother and take care of her, and thus was never really given a childhood. In childhood we do not have that obsessive awareness of how our bodies look in and take up space. We are care-free. Along with her lack of innocence in childhood that came as a result of her mother’s poor parenting, she never experienced that blissful disregard of bodies and space that we have when we’re young.

Young Alison [to her mother]: Why didn’t you become an actress?

Alison’s mother: Oh, I wanted to get married and have kids (94)

When I read this, I immediately wondered: was that the right decision? Writing this now, I’m also wondering why it has to be one or the other: why can’t a woman act while also having a family? In these times though, it makes sense because women were pretty much given the sole responsibility of their households and children, so if you committed to a marriage and family, everything else sort of automatically went out the window. I think Alison’s mother is a good example of what happens to a woman when she doesn’t follow her heart and her dreams, and simply does what society tells her she should do. I have a feeling she’d probably be much happier if she stuck to acting (as bad as that might sound…I’m sorry Alison Bechdel. It’s nothing against you!).

Alison [narration]: One of the reasons why the mother might fail to meet the infant’s spontaneous gesture [which according to Bechdel/Winnicott is the “true self” of the infant, which is who the infant is when he or she is not complying to the mother’s needs], Winnicott writes, is because the father is not performing his part well enough.

Alison’s father [to his wife about baby Alison]: Can’t you keep that brat quiet? (95)

Even though we only get small snippets of what Bechdel’s father was like (I’d have to read her other book to find out more about her dad!) it is evident from examples like this that he was not a good father, either. He doesn’t seem to want anything to do with his daughter and has put all of the responsibility of her care onto his wife. As awful and unfit for parenting as she is, I can certainly empathize with Bechdel’s mother and understand why her relationship with her daughter had become so twisted. Without any support from a husband who became angry with HER for her pregnancy (as if she conceived her children all on her own!) it isn’t farfetched that she would take her anger and resentment out on her daughter.

Alison [narration]: [After a conversation with her mom about some pro-life comments a journalist had made on TV] I had long since given up trying to debate abortion with my mom. None of my feminist arguments could sway her (124)

I included this quotation because I think the abortion argument is a good reminder of the fact that not all women are feminists! It sounds really funny, but there are many women out there today who are perfectly content in a patriarchal society (and by “content” I mean that they just sort of live like blind sheep in a system, doing what the system says and living by the system’s rules and not really questioning anything. Many of these women, of course, use religion as the foundations of all of their beliefs and take “the Bible says so” as law for their entire lives). Ugh. It’s so frustrating. I’m going to rein myself in here before I go on a tangent. It’s even more frustrating to know that Bechdel’s mother is an educated woman. Before I fly off the deep end, I know everyone is entitled to their own beliefs…but COME ON! Especially coming from a woman who shouldn’t have had kids to begin with!

Okay I’m done. Time to move on.

Alison [narration]: [Alison is grappling over the fact that her mother tried to call her multiple times at her old dorm room when she was in college, and she had missed the call. Her mother needed some consolation upon deciding to divorce her father] I wasn’t there when she had needed me. The phone ringing in the empty room. I couldn’t get it out of my head. One ring reverberating into another. And another. And another (158-159)

This is a great example of how Bechdel acts more like a mother than her own mother does. You would expect this sort of regret coming from a mother, but instead Bechdel feels terrible that she missed her mother’s phone call.

Alison’s mother [on the phone with Alison]: You’re not going to use your real name, are you? Couldn’t you use one of your funny names?

Alison: That would defeat the purpose!

Alison’s mother: I would love to see your name on a book, but not on a book of lesbian cartoons (182)

This broke my heart when I read it. She was so excited to tell her mother some news for once, only to be completely knocked down. Her mother is ashamed of her for being a lesbian and doesn’t want the public to know. Is it her family’s image that she’s worried about? Is it her daughter’s image she’s worried about? From what I’ve seen, and based on her selfish behaviour everywhere else, she’s probably more worried about what people will think of her. Hmm. Once again, not a great mother figure!

Alison: [On her therapist Jocelyn’s request, Alison asks her mother a compelling question] What’s the main thing you learned from your mother?

Alison’s mother: That boys are more important than girls (263-264)

Earlier in the book, Bechdel mentions how her brothers were treated better than her throughout her childhood, so it seems that Alison’s mother has chosen to carry on this awful cycle of valuing men above women. But WHY? If she was treated this way in her own childhood, why would she ever want to pass that on to her daughter? Is it like a form of revenge? Maybe if I took more psychology courses, I would have better ideas…but I can only go so far with my speculations.

Donald Winnicott [quoted by Bechdel]: The awkward fact remains, for men and women, that each was once dependent on woman, and somehow a hatred of this has to be transformed into a kind of gratitude if full maturity of the personality is to be reached (279)

Alison’s mother [to Alison as a child]: Alison, get off the floor!

Alison: I can’t! I’m crippled!

Alison’s mother: Oh, do you need some leg braces?

Alison: Yes!

Alison [narration]: What I remember is a feeling of inebriation. The further I moved into this imaginary space, the more it opened up.

Alison’s mother: Okay, let me lace them up.

Alison [narration]: I can only speculate that there was a charge, an exchange, a mutual cathexis going on…She could see my invisible wounds because they were hers, too (286-287)

These last couple pages were probably the most compelling of the entire book. Prior to this exchange, Bechdel mentions how she would pretend to be crippled for her mother’s attention when she was a little girl. Here, she is making a connection between her mother’s indulgence in this make-believe play and transgenerational female oppression. Both Alison and certainly her mother harbor feelings of inadequacy as women, and thus in this moment they can play together because they can both see each other’s “wounds.” Bechdel resents being a woman as a result of her mother’s treatment of her (especially when compared to how she treated her brothers) and her mother resents being a woman as a result of her husband and her own mother’s treatment of her. Ingrained in both of these women is the idea that “boys are more important than girls” (264).

In creating this memoir though, I think Bechdel is beginning the healing process after generations of oppression. Now that she has exposed this vicious cycle, hopefully she will be able to stop it...

I never thought I would say this…and I don’t mean to say I don’t think she would be a good mother because I don’t know that…but maybe Bechdel’s socially uncharacteristic choice to not have children (it seems it was hardly a choice…more like she was rather apathetic to the whole idea from the start) was a good one.

The abusive cycle ends with her. 

No comments:

Post a Comment