Friday, August 7, 2015

Plans for the next few posts...and a little rant about "The Bachelor"

I’m going a little off the map this week (three points for cheesy geography joke!). I want to demonstrate the impact that this research opportunity has had on me. I think the greatest evidence one could obtain that something has changed her life is that the entire world around her somehow looks different. I see things, hear things, read things and watch things from the perspective of an almost completely changed woman. Perhaps that sounds a little dramatic, but in the next few blog posts I’m going to prove just how deeply these last three months have affected me, and what better way to do that than to turn to media? Throughout this research opportunity I have relied predominantly on books and academic articles. During times when I am not reading, however, like most people my age my face is glued to some screen or another: my phone (which is so large that I can comfortably have extremely long-winded YouTube binges), my laptop and my television are constantly bombarding me with new ideas and information to apply my critical eye to. While on the surface some of the things I watch might be shameful for someone who will one day have a PhD framed on their wall (this sounds cocky but I think that if I keep saying it, it will happen!), there’s actually a lot to learn from some of these seemingly shallow programs.

While I didn’t choose this television show for my analysis, I want to point out The Bachelor for a moment. Now this show gets a lot of heat, and rightfully so! Although many educated feminists would probably refuse to watch even ten minutes of a program like this, I actually find it quite interesting (and often infuriating). In order to make the whole process of one man having his pick of twenty-six gorgeous women who all happen to be in love with him (it is rare that someone will leave on their own because they realized that they don’t actually have feelings for the person…which in reality doesn’t make a whole lot of sense), they created The Bachelorette to even the playing field. So instead of twenty-six women vying for a man’s affections, it’s twenty-six men vying for a woman’s affections. Okay, I mean…that sounds alright. But then you get seasons like this past Bachelorette season, where they throw in this ridiculous twist where they have two bachelorettes and then the twenty-six men have to choose between them. How is that fair?! This is supposed to be the WOMAN’S time to shine, but instead she has to compete with another woman and win all the men over in order to continue? And then there’s the double-standard when it comes to sex on the show: the bachelorette this past season had sex with one of the guys and she ended up receiving messages on social media calling her a whore and other atrocious insults. She even admitted to getting death threats! This is all because she wanted to further explore a relationship with someone. In the real world, when people are dating…they have sex! At the end of this show, there’s supposed to be a proposal…and as much as I respect people who choose to wait for religious or other reasons, I’m not marrying anyone I haven’t been intimate with. It’s such a huge part of a relationship…how could you walk down the aisle with someone if that kind of chemistry is not there? At the end of the day, this is about a marriage. And if the bachelorette wants to have sex with someone she cares about, it's her choice.

Would the bachelor receive similar taunts for making the same decision? Absolutely not. There has been sex before…but since it’s the bachelorette to decide to have sex with someone and come clean with it, she’s a whore.

See? There’s actually a lot to learn from television shows like this. They serve as a great reminder that regardless of the progress women have made in terms of equality, our society hasn’t nearly come as far as we think.

Now with that little rant aside, in the following three blogs I’m going to be exploring YouTube, television and online news media that have really stood out to me over this past summer as emphasizing some powerful feminist issues. There will be a blog dedicated to each of these media platforms, and then there will be a following blog that will serve as a personal reflection. I’ve been meaning to do a personal reflection for a long time now, and I finally feel like I'm in a good place to write one.


So without further ado, YouTube is first up!

No comments:

Post a Comment