Friday, August 7, 2015

Feminism on YouTube!

While there are a ton of other YouTubers with feminist-slanted content, I just wanted to talk about the two I have discovered this summer that have really caught my attention: Alexis G. Zall and TheRoxetera. I’m sure there are more but if I got into every single YouTuber that has “wow’d me in one way or another we would be here all day and night.

First up is Alexis G. Zall! I believe I came across her channel after watching her collaborate with another YouTuber I watch. From my research, I was surprised to learn that she is seventeen years old (and just by looking at her that doesn’t seem too far-fetched). The reason I was surprised by her age, however, is that she doesn’t speak like a typical seventeen-year-old. She has an extremely elevated way of expressing herself that could make a fifth-year university student jealous. Amidst her intelligent banters, I came across one video that I found both refreshing and hilarious. Around Valentine’s Day when she was sixteen years old, she created a satirical video essentially mocking societal expectations placed on women when pursuing a relationship. Alexis makes her beliefs very clear: relationships should not be at the center of every young woman’s universe, men should not be in complete control of where a relationship should go and if it should be pursued, and women don’t need men to do everything for them when on a date (such as hold open doors and pay for the meal) as women are more than capable of doing these things themselves and for their date as well.

The video is called “How to Get a Boyfriend”:


It’s really refreshing to see such opinionated, feminist approaches to dating coming from someone this age! I worry a lot about what the future holds for young women…if I didn’t receive the education I received, I would probably still have all of the sexist and clichéd ideas about dating that were presented in this video. “Don’t ask him out…wait for him to ask you…”, “chivalry isn’t dead...”, “you should straighten your hair for your date!” (that last one was more of a personal one…I’ve been told frequently throughout my life that my hair looks better straight, even though that’s not my natural hair…and I should wear it like that more often). It’s hard for me to remember how I thought or what I was like at sixteen, but I can at least say that getting boys to like me was certainly a priority.

Now at twenty-two years old I realize that as “fun” as relationships can be, there are more important things in life…

Like good food. And family and friends. And soccer. And school. Especially food.

…I wish I could say that was a joke, but if I could just be fed amazing food for the rest of my life I would be perfectly content remaining single forever.

Anyway. I picked out some of my favourite lines from the video. The first line especially hits home for me:

“Who needs life passions and career goals when you have movie dates and bouquets of red roses?”

“You want to be revealing, yet classy, sassy yet…not too opinionated”

“If you’re not happy with the way you look, it doesn’t matter. All that matters is what the boy thinks of you! You should turn yourself into the perfect girl for that man”

“You need the guy to ask you out. Do not, I repeat, do not ever make the first move with a guy! Because in case you forgot, this is the 1950s and making the first move could result in the execution of yourself and your close family”

“Appear helpless and meek! If he doesn’t open the door for you, just collapse into a puddle on the ground due to the heavy burden now placed upon your shoulders!”

I wish all teenage girls thought this way. The sad part is that I find that a lot of girls are in fact aware of these issues, but they don’t actually do anything about it. They want equality (or at least claim to) but at the same time expect for their boyfriends to pick up the check at the end of every meal. Or maybe they might feel obligated to be someone they’re not to impress a guy they really like…even though they know deep down that they shouldn’t. Young women need to be more aware of these contradictions in their ideas about dating and relationships. I think it would be really interesting to do some sort of survey of teenage girls to find out how they think about dating traditions and relationship roles. There are probably many out there who don’t see any issue in these dating traditions at all…and there are also probably many (like Alexis) who would surprise me with how well-informed they are.

So many questions…but only so much time! Can I just quit school now and do research forever?

What’s that? I need an education for anyone to take me seriously?

Well alright then. I guess I’ll have to wait a little longer.

Now on to TheRoxetera!

I actually have no idea how I stumbled upon this YouTube channel. TheRoxetera features a twenty-five-year-old bisexual woman named Rosie who often features her wife Rose in her videos as well. While her bio states that she does videos about makeup and hair, I haven’t actually come across any of these! The videos I’ve watched from this channel (and her wife’s channel) have been discussions about feminist issues, especially those surrounding the queer community.

The video I’ve chosen to discuss here is called “Scissor Shaming”:


In this video, Rosie and her girlfriend Rose talk about lesbians telling other lesbians how they should have sex. I thought this video was interesting because it shows how even within otherwise oppressed groups like the gay community, hierarchies are assigned and there is still a lot of judgment and criticism regarding sex: in this case, how it should be performed! You would think that of all people, lesbians (who are at least doubly oppressed since they are gay and women) would be sensitive towards different lifestyle choices. This, however, is evidently not true. Just as the title of the video suggests, Rose and Rosie discuss how there are some lesbians who claim that “scissoring” is not a “real” part of lesbian sex and that “real” lesbians do not scissor. According to these women, “scissoring” was something contrived for movies and television, but is not realistic in actual lesbian relationships. I really liked how Rosie and Rose deconstruct this position by pointing out how ridiculous it would be if heterosexuals went around asserting how “real” straight people have sex. Their discussion reminded me a lot of the article I read in GEOG 3P74 about the discrimination that was occurring among the trans community at “The Pussy Palace” in Toronto. Many of the women at the event were arguing against male-to-female individuals being allowed to participate for pretty much the same reason Rosie and Rose are talking about: they’re not “real” women.

Even though she goes on a bit of an impassioned tangent here, the message Rosie delivers in the following quotation is powerful:

“Some people have such struggles coming out of the closet, coming out to their parents, people get kicked out of home, people get bullied, people get beaten up, you know people are afraid to come out, people live double lives, people don’t get jobs, people get their teeth pulled out in Russia for being lesbian. And then we have this community where we’re meant to support each other and be like, ‘you know what? Be yourself. It’s okay to be you.’ And we spread messages saying it’s okay, come out, be proud. If anyone doesn’t like you, fuck ‘em. And then we say, ‘don’t scissor. You’re not a real member of this community. Get out.’ What the fuck?”

I honestly couldn’t have said it better myself. “What the fuck?” is right. Of all places and spaces a geographer could study, there is little dispute that the bedroom should be the ultimate space for freedom. The bedroom is where we go to be alone, to be ourselves, to free our bodies and minds from the confines of an oppressive society. And when we bring partners into these rooms, or we choose to share this room with a partner, this feeling of freedom should continue. Societal pressures should not be allowed to enter.

I apologize for the inappropriateness of the following statement, but it needs to be said: If you want to scissor, if you want to doggy, if you want to reverse-cowgirl…that’s all up to YOU and your partner. Two’s company and three’s a crowd (that “three” being society). Unless of course you’re polyamorous…

In that case. Carry on!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment